- Country: Lebanon
- Project Name: Creative Expression Through Films
- Contact person: Libgart Yasmin Ottens firstname.lastname@example.org
- Project duration: 01.02.2023 – 31.12.2024
- Project objective: The project is a series of independent video/film workshops that aims to motivate people from all regions of Lebanon to express their ideas and desires in a creative way and thus participate in the public discourse on Lebanon’s political, social, cultural and economic development.
Creative Expression Through Films
Upcoming workshop (date pending): Due to the current situation in the region, we unfortunately have had to postpone the 4th workshop in Baalbek. We will keep you updated here and on our social media accounts about the new workshops dates and other activities once they resume.
- Workshop #1: 24 – 28 July 2023: Workshop in cooperation with Sarmada Association in Batloun, Chouf, Lebanon.
- Workshop #2: 5 – 9 August 2023: Workshop in cooperation with Sawt w Soura in Beirut, Lebanon.
- Workshop #3: 9-13 September 2023: Workshop at Ishbilia Theatre and Art Hub, Saida.
Creative expression through films is a socio-cultural project with a series of ten independent workshops in Lebanon. These workshops use film expression to transform education, equip people with the tools to communicate, think critically, auto-reflect or sometimes (re)build self-confidence by (re)connecting with their inner self.
The project embraces diversity by targeting people from various regional, social, cultural and educational backgrounds and ages living in Lebanon. It’s inclusive politics and the ultimate objective aim is to reach marginalised communities and to relocate cultural access from urban centres to rural areas.
Creative expression through films aims to motivate people from all regions of Lebanon to express their ideas and desires for social change in a creative way and thus participate in the public discourse on Lebanon’s political, social, cultural and economic development.
The workshops are held by Lebanese filmmakers Corine Shawi and Yara Nashawaty and cooperate with cultural actors, stakeholders and institutions from Lebanon. Each workshop groups eight participants who produce ten short individual video diaries over the period of five intensive days. All along the workshops, participants film short and themed exercises. They are invited to use their immediate surroundings at the workshop and at home. These exercises take the form of shot/edited intimate diaries. The applied method during these workshops highlights the individual stories of each participant under the pillars of aesthetics, form, and content. Thus art presents a key way for individuals to raise a voice, an expression and to process their reality.
Selected video diaries produced in the workshops will be screened publicly at the end of 2023 and 2024.
This project is funded by the German Federal Office