- Country: Iraq
- Contact person: Kenza Rady
- Duration of the project: 2021-2022
- Project objective: Offering a large number of women in the cultural scene in Iraq the chance to network while also enabling them to participate confidently in the cultural, political and social spheres.
Artists: Creators of Social Change
Throughout 2021/2022, the project “Artists: Creators of Social Change” aims at offering a large number of women in the cultural scene in Iraq the chance to network while also enabling them to participate confidently in the cultural, political and social spheres. Women from various ethnic and religious groups are invited to work together and jointly participate in the project activities.
Project events and outcomes:
- Online and offline workshops covering topics ranging from art history, film critique and project fundraising.
- Other workshops with a more technical focus such as editing, cinematography, sound design and scenario writing.
- YouTube channel for discussions and exchanges between the participants
- A virtual exhibition showcasing murals and graffiti produced by Iraqi artists during the October 2019 protests
- A documentary film festival and artistic exchange between Iraq and Germany.
The project builds upon last year’s project: ‘Self-determined. Women Make Film’ with new formats and new participants who will benefit from longer and face-to-face training in filmmaking.
The cultural project “Artists: Creators of Social Change” commenced in late March with its first online workshop where several female Iraqi artists, students and cultural practitioners came together to participate in a workshop on the history of art from a female perspective delivered by Amman-based artists Ala Younis and Raed Ibrahim.
The project is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office.