Joint statement on the Ukraine crisis
We are at a critical juncture for the future of the European Union and democracy globally. The Russian war of aggression shows that authoritarian rule is a global security problem for states, businesses and people everywhere. Democracy support needs to be a European strategic priority.
Elbarlament, together with the other members of the European Partnership of Democracy (EPD) have come together to call on EU institutions and European governments to respond to the crisis with a democracy-focused approach in the short term while developing a far more strategic approach to supporting democracy globally in the long term. To this end, we have two sets of actionable recommendations:
Respond to the crisis with a democracy-focused approach
- Bolster Ukraine’s democratic institutions
- Invest in Ukrainian civil society
- Support independent media organisations and journalists in Ukraine
- Support drivers of change in Russia and Belarus
- Give a meaningful EU membership perspective to Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova without taking shortcuts on democracy
Ensure democracy is a cornerstone of geopolitical strategy
- Make democracy a top strategic priority in foreign policy
- Strengthen democracy at home
- Support the work and the integrity of independent journalists and media organisations to counter disinformation
- Combat corruption and kleptocracy
- Use Team Europe Democracy to improve coordination
Read the full statement here.